Monday, March 06, 2006

After the Oscars

Wow, I haven't blog in such a long time...not that nothing notable happened for the past 2 weeks, it's just that I have this kinda lazy feeling to write...mind you, I do have a lot of thoughts and experience to pour out, but the feeling and mood's just not there......

Since I don't have any topic at hand that's worthy of interest, I'll just talk about the Oscars aka the Academy Awards. Ya know I'm a movie freak, buying DVDs like mad during the awards season. But since entering college, every year I missed the chance to watch the show live coz of classes and with the TV not available in hostel. And since broadband is not available, watching it live online is not an option either. (wait, they do broadcast it on the Net right?)

Not this year. I woke up today early at 7 (well, early by my standards) to catch the awards. As usual, the red carpet was full of glitz and glamour, the latest fashion on display on the actresses, particularly hot was Keira Knightley, Jessica Alba and Jennifer Aniston. There was no Johnny Depp in the men's department, although there was this one guy who actually turned out in jeans! Check out the pics on IMDb or the official site.

Host Jon Stewart was playing safe in my opinion, compared to Crystal or Rock, though there were some hilarious lines. My fav line quoting Stewart:

"I was really surprised that Cinderella Man didn't win for best makeup, you know, imagine how difficult it is to put Russell Crowe in a fight."

The homosexual theme was also poked fun ("Not all gay people are cowboys", referring to Capote; "a movie about boxing is called Cinderella Man")......

There was no one sided win for any movie, although Brokeback Mountain, Crash, Memoirs of A Geisha and King Kong each won 3 awards. My real surprises came when Crash beat Brokeback for Best Picture, even if it's a close fight...I was rooting for Crash though, coz it's the only nominated best film i've seen; and when Hustle & Flow won Best Original Song, instead of In The Deep from Crash (which was beautiful).

Here's the winners' list:

Film: Crash
Director: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain
Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Actress: Reese Witherspoon, Walk The Line
Suporting Actor: George Clooney, Syriana
Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Original Screenplay: Crash
Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback Mountain
Animated Feature: Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Original Score: Brokeback Mountain
Original Song: It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp, Hustle & Flow (cool title !!!)
Art Direction: Memoirs of a Geisha
Cinematography: Memoirs of a Geisha
Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha
Makeup: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
FIlm Editing: Crash
Sound Editing: King Kong
Sound Mixing: King Kong
Visual Effects: King Kong

Of all the best pictures I've only seen Crash, maybe next week I'll make a trip to Sg Wang Plaza to get those pirated goods coz face it, all these movies are never gonna make it to our cinemas.

No comments: