Thursday, August 31, 2006

Merdeka in Liverpool

It's been a good 3 weeks since my last post...didn't know what made me stop blogging for a while, but I know that there's still so much for me to blog about, notably:

The 5 day trip to Scotland. (still pending after nearly a month)

The university-organized trip to North Wales.

The trip to Blackpool.

Eating out at La Tasca (Spanish restaurant).

Our feast last Sunday with MengJie.

Mathew Street Festival.

There's still some more...but I can't remember for now...tomorrow's the final exam, and after that we got 5 days to complete the assignment and get the hell back home to Malaysia. Speaking of which......

I AM SO FUCKING HOMESICK RIGHT NOW.

Here I am, studying in Liverpool and having Merdeka overseas for the first time in my life, and I can't help but wonder how come there's not a single soul from my course who mentions the word "Merdeka", "Negaraku" or "Independence".

Come on lah, you call yourselves Malaysians?

It didn't struck me until 5 in the evening yesterday that it was Independence Day back home. Some wackos from the opposite flat started shouting MERDEKA! MERDEKA! MERDEKA! while people started passing around this Negaraku MIDI file on MSN.

Talk about patriotism.

And you definitely can't miss the blogosphere where everyone suddenly starts to"berbelog" in Bahasa.

The funniest (and also most idiotic) thing I remember about Merdeka every year are the news report where they randomly interview people on the streets about their views on Merdeka. And everytime there's gotta be at least 2 morons who will utter the words "Memang bagus lah, kami rakyat Malaysia, ada tiga kaum...Melayu, Cina and India...Kita harus bersatu-padu..."

Puh-leeeze...I wanna puke everytime I heard people say that. It's so fucking cliched.

But there's also those heartwarming and sentimental Petronas and Tenaga Nasional commercials that just puts a smile on your face or just makes you wanna weep. Especially those by Kak Yasmin.

I miss nasi lemak.

No comments: