Tuesday, March 09, 2021

RIP Laoshu50500

So in 2019 when I was attending Japanese lessons I got really into languages and the novelty of watching people speaking a foreign language quickly grew on me especially Mandarin (Don't ask me why, I just enjoy it).

That's when I found a couple of interesting channels like Laoshu50500, XiaomaNYC, BlondieInChina, etc. and from time to time I'd watch their contents

Just found out yesterday that Laoshu has since passed due to unforeseen circumstances related to heart complications. Suffice to say it was indeed a big shock.

To be honest yeah the dude's not REALLY considered "fluent" from the viewpoint of the language learning community (really, just stock conversation starters).

But in his defense he's always stated that his goal is just to be more approachable to non-English speakers and watch their reaction as they light up seeing an American speak their native language, and in the process encourage other people to pick up a new language and hopefully able to see other cultures in a new light.

God knows we need more of that wholesomeness in these super partisan times.

RIP Laoshu. #LevelUp



No comments: